Write the best essay and you get $200 for books and supplies for your MLS/MSLIS degree!
What is the role of the librarian in the city?
Urban Librarians Unite is sponsoring an essay contest to award a book scholarship to one student pursuing a library/information sciences degree in New York City. The contest is simple. Write an essay on the topic above: “What is the role of the librarian in the city?”
The essays will be entered into a contest and read by a panel of judges made up of working urban librarians. They will be considered for the quality of writing and thought they demonstrate. The winner of the essay contest will get a gift card worth $200.00 to go toward their books and supplies for library school.
The winning essay will be published here on ULU’s website along with select runners up. We suggest imagination and bold thoughts in essay submissions. Innovation will be one of the criteria of the judging, we want to hear big ideas for the future of libraries in the city.
Please follow the formatting rules below and submit your essay to:
Essays must be submitted by September 21st.
List of rules
- All entrants must either live in New York City or attend a Library/Information Science
program at an accredited library school based in New York City.
- All entrants must be enrolled in a course of study pursuant to postgraduate education in
Library/Information Science (“Library School”)
- Essays should be 1000 – 1200 words
- Essays should be on the topic/question given for that semester only
- One essay per person, per semester
- No repeat submissions of the same essay in different semesters
- Winners may compete again in subsequent semesters
- All essays will be considered anonymously
- Please follow formatting rules
- Winning essay will be published on urbanlibrariansunite.org
- Runner up essays will be published on urbanlibraiansunite.org at the descretion of the
organization and the essay author
- Contest winners shall receive a $200 cash prize for use in purchasing books and
supplies for the pursuit of postgraduate library and information science education
- Please submit all essays as MS Word 2003 documents
- Please put your name and the name of your institution at the top of the first page of your essay
- Do not put your name in the header or footer of the essay
- Use APA formatting for the text and citations